[NTLK] Connection

From: Mark Einreinhof (montana_at_freeshell.org)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 08:21:30 PDT

I recently obtained a well maintained MP2000. I am unable to successfully
connect via the serial cable to the device or complete an action such as
backup or install.

I have the NCU software installed on my Dell Latitude C640 running WinXP
with a Pentium 4 cpu and 512MB ram.

The NCU software and WinXP are both set to use COM3. I tap connect on the
Newton and it does establish a connection as the icons in the NCU
application are no longer greyed out. I pick Backup and the process starts
but after a few seconds the Newton reports "The Connection was stopped
because the PC disconnected." I can pick Install from the Newton and move
through my hard drive's directory structure and I can pick a file to
install. The file then appears to be installing but then fails with the
same explanation.

I have tried different baud rates and that program called slowdown. What
might I do to isolate the problem?

Cheers
- Mark