Re: [NTLK] Direction

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 05:25:09 PDT

Robert Benschop asks:

> Which calls for the following question: what I understand from the
> innards of the Newt and also explained here by David this
> extra memory
> will only serve as storage, won't do any good for your Heap.
> So why are we all choosing for extra memory? Understandable for an
> eMate because it has only one slot, but for the 2x00? You can
> ad Flash
> Memory up to 32 MB and ATA card at least up to 1 GB (!)

Absolutely you can add Flash cards BUT internal Flash is accessed faster than external memory.
The card swapping issue with an emate is easy to understand but, even with two slots, the 2x00 series can have
conflicts. Imagine if I was using ez-show and Ethernet. Now where do I put the memory card? A contrived scenario I agree
but it illustrates the point; you can't have enough PC card slots.

BTW adding a 1GB Flash card won't help the heap situation either.

> I don't want to complicate things here, but I get the feeling
> that some
> people maybe voted without realizing that there's very little gain to
> having extra internal memory in an 2x00.
>
> Or maybe I'm just plain wrong but in that case I would like to be
> convinced...
>

> Robert Benschop

I'm not sure if I convinced you Robert. This mod won't be for everyone but it is still a useful addition that will allow
more pkgs to be stored without using precious PC card slots.

A secondary consideration is less wear and tear on the slot mechanism.

Finally, the incorporation of footprints on the board that would allow alternate chips for development purposes. (This
will only be of use to those people who know what I am talking about but will ultimately benefit you all with better
programs and environment).

Oh yeah... and it's cool!

PCBman