[NTLK] 28 MB Cards for > US$ 30, ATA S./hardware-pricing, storage + heap = one board? (was Re: Please advise, I'm confused - Re: Direction)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 08:58:37 PDT

>Where do you find 28MB Flash cards for under $30?????

>I would like to know whee you can get a 28 meg Linear flash card for
>under $30

>Yeah, so would the rest of us ...

Ebay via NTLK, where else? ;=}

   Couple months ago somebody posted about storage auctions at Ebay.com.
Prices were US$ 27,50 per 28 MB card, tested functional in MP 130 and 2x00,
international shipping for US$ 7,--, arrived within 7 days, orders of 5 or
more cards = free shipping. - Excellent for the Euro-Chapter of Newtonia,
considering the strong EUR. Payment in cash and Paypal, only US$ accepted.
Very nice guy, this Chris is - confirmed receipt of funds, confirmed
sending the card off, really good. Keep an eye on his auctions at
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=lopes1211
   From the auction in February: "AMD Series D Linear Flash Memory 28 MB
[...] Guaranteed not DOA or money back. Shipping is $5 USPS 2-3 day
priority and $.25 per additional item. Manufactured by Silicontech part
number IBMFL028SD. These cards are 5V read, 12V write."

   Note: At the moment he offers only 2 MB card for Newton, some nice ATA
by Sandisk, and plenty router cards, so your mileage may vary. But just ask
Chris if any item you're interested in was used an a router or not, and if
you stay clear of router cards, you should be on the safe side.
***This blab brought to you by a satisfied European customer of his.***

Buying a new, never-used ATA card + drivers will of course GUARANTEE a full
lifecycle performance, something used Flash cards simply can't offer. Same
guarantee valid for new Flash cards, too, but at much higher prices.

>I was looking into 32MB linear flash cards and they were around $80.
>Paul's ATA driver work is incredible and he deserves all he gets for it
>[actually deserves more than he gets, way more] but some of us do not
>have the finances to contribute to the ATA driver registration and
>would still like a moderate storage increase.

There's still Christmas and birthdays... ;=}

What I don't get in some current postings is the "ATA Support + card ist
soo expensive - great that there'll be a hardware solution now"-flavour.
David has made it clear in the past that readily suitable chips are neither
cheap, nor sold at every streetcorner. While he'll try to find less pricey
chips, it's obvious that this hardware won't be for free. I guess pure
parts and installation costs at the usual venues to be higher than for
SER001 (courtesy of less standard parts and the ROM transplanting surgery).
Just because we're talking moderate storage expansion doesn't meant it'll
be moderately priced. It'll be a fair deal, I reckon (and possibly more
moderate than what it *actually would hafta cost* if R&D efforts, design,
parts, handcrafted manufacture and installation all be properly
appreciated), but most likely still not in the small-change-league.
   With ATA Support and card, you can achieve very nice things for EUR
80,-- incl. any postage, no installation or sending off of your MP
required. I do not think any hardware solution will be able to match that
price and capacity, though I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong by Mr.
PCBMan.

Anyhow, I see David's arguments pro internal storage increase, esp. in the
light of the factory's internal storage finite lifespan (thanks Jon for
pointing this out!). His excellent and much-appreciated effort will not
only be an upgrade, but also a superior spare-part for components that will
fail due to wear in the course of regular usage (after many years, but
still...). Not having this option available would be like buying a bicycle
and not being able to buy any replacement tires when the original set is
worn through, rendering the otherwise okay hardware useless. Plus those
tires give better mileage and speed, but this may vary.
   And if this new board will respect SER001's and Implant's (and any
future board's) real estates, it'll be a very good thing to have. Plus, as
the miraculous Mr. PCBMan himself said: It'll be cool.

>Also for those that chose to read David's actual post he made it VERY
>clear that it was storage RAM and not heap RAM.

"A) Additional internal memory on 2x00 and emate." - Sorry, mate, but when
I hear "memory", I think of something non-static, like RAM in a desktop or
a MP's heap. Apologies for muting the "internal" bit!

>I am all about this increase and to be honest, I don't run out of heap
>on my 2100 ... so I am pretty confused as to why people are all of a
>sudden nuts about getting more.

That's just what I said in the "Please advise"-mail accidentally posted to
NTLK instead of going offlist to David: You'd need to pull quite an effort
on a MP 2100 to use up all heap, from what people say. As this seems a rare
condition, why bother? Then I'd much rather see internal Bluetooth for the
masses.
   However, if Paul's idea "I think we may put DRAM or SRAM on the ROM
Board" (and beyond the scope planned by David, too!) proves right, I'm all
for a combo upgrade if possible. The only risk is, it'll increase R&D
efforts but might be for naught, thus delaying a perfectly doable, already
proven concept and wasting time and possibly budget. Of course *I* would
say the more, the merrier and let's think big, but then I'm not involved, I
don't pull any weight and I don't risk any investments. Still - would be
even cooler, wouldn't it?

>PS
>
>You sent this to the list not to David H. [PCB Man].

I noticed. Me clumsy. Thanks for reminding. ;=} But as others had posted
similar thoughts while I've still been writing my mail, I reckon no harm
done. In any case, no offence meant - and I hope none perceived.

With most cordial and respectful greetings to all,

yer clumsy-fingered 'Kasko.

P.S.: Hey Doug - re...

>There wouldn't be any benefits to adding more dram, except
>maybe being able to port the mozilla engine to the
>newton.... ; )

... might as well think OpenOffice, right? Now where's that wishlist