Re: [NTLK] [OT] N/C/S America's Card Loaner - Update

From: Allan Ngaparu (angaparu_at_optusnet.com.au)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 00:50:35 PDT

Paul wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure out the pome bast*** thing out. I know it
stands
> for prisoner of mother England, but why do Australians call the British
> this? Seems backwards? I always wondered about this.

I think Aussies are accepting of all people and the use of the word pom or
pome is an anachronism that is used by older generations .The use of the
word pom is more a description of where they come from and is not meant to
be insulting, in the same ways we refer to Americans as Yanks, and New
Zealanders as Kiwi's. Despite a lot of sporting rivalries which are fiercely
contested we really get on well and like each other.

We do in lighter moments sling off at each other as well. Use of the
bast.... word however is in my view not very nice if used to someones face
as an insult. I have never seen it used in that way.

We sometimes even refer to our mates as bast....'s ' like he's a good
bast.... etc;

Anyway whilst I am an Aussie citizen I was born in New Zealand so I must be
a Kiwi bast.....!!! I will leave further explanation to my true blue
cousins.

I hope that explains it a bit more.

Allan Ngaparu
Brisbane