Re: [NTLK] Purchases in Germany

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 23:43:15 PDT

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:35:29AM +0200, Frank Gruendel wrote:
> > It's amazing how many of the sellers will only post to within
> > their own country!
>
> Well, that goes for every country I think. I would buy much more
> abroad if this wasn't so. I'm of course aware of Mark's service,
> but there are these deals that aren't tempting enough to cause
> others any additional work.

A not-small portion of this involves sellers being wary of new buyers
from VAT-charging countries, where the buyers don't realize that their
stuff may be subjected to VAT that the buyer is responsible for. This
combines witht he usual customs hassles that packages crossing borders
are often subjected to, and no small number of US sellers end up getting
grief from European buyers for taxes that push the 80 Euro "great deal"
to a 94 Euro "so-so deal". Complicate this with international money
orders becoming almost impossible to obtain or cash, and US sellers
frequently find that the market outside US borders is just too much of a
pain to deal with.

(No, I don't agree with these thoughts at all, and freely accept foreign
sales. I just hear what others complain about...)

--
99. Any data file of crucial importance will be padded to 1.45Mb in size.