Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Macintosh, 3rd Parties, and Market Share

From: kareljansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 12:48:36 PDT

Op zaterdag 24 april 2004 21:39, schreef Jon Glass:
> Personally, I would have to say that when the beta of X came out, I thought
> the same thing. I saw Apple flushing down the toilet. In fact, I refused to
> upgrade to X because of all I had read of it of it, and my friends'
> experience with it. I didn't upgrade until Jaguar. However, after upgrading
> at that point, I began to see the beauty of X. X is much more than just for
> programmers. It is an essential change to the Mac OS. It is comparable to
> the change in Windows with XP, only more drastic.

That's a pretty silly thing to say: Windows XP is Windows 2000 done with
crayons, which in turn was merely an incremental upgrade of Windows NT 4.0,
which was a cosmetic rebuffal of Windows NT 3.5, which basically was the
first NT that actually worked (and I do hope you're not including the
DOS-extender version of Windows in this comparison?).

Mac OSX is essentially a completely new operating system, based on UNIX and
BSD.

Karel Jansens