Re: [NTLK] Which Model?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 22:29:27 PDT

on 4/26/04 5:26 AM, David Ensteness at denstene_at_mac.com wrote:

> It seems most Newton users work on a 2100 or 2000. Most RAM, last OS
> version, able to do ethernet and wireless ... they are the most
> functional models.
>
> Have any specific questions?

Actually, the 130 has more heap, I believe, than the 2000... However, the
2000 has the ARM processor running at 166mhz(?) vs the 130's much slower 25
or 30-something older processor. (specifics escape me at the moment) Not
only that, but the OS in the 2k series is Newton OS 2.1, which enables much
more technology, and allows the 2Kseries to do so much more.... So, if you
want to play Mp3s or do wireless or BlueTooth, or web browsing, get the
2100. If web browsing is not in your sights at all, then maybe the 2000 will
suffice, but if you don't want or need any of the newer technologies,
including Ethernet connectivity, then maybe a 130 will suffice you. I've
owned a couple 120's, a 130 or two, and now have a 2100, and I would never
entrance... I would highly recommend the 2100, and forget the rest....
However, I'm sure you will find a hard time getting consensus on _this_
list. ;-) BTW, a UMP2000 or an Upgraded 2000 is exactly the same thing as a
2100, so saying it truly is an upgraded unit. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland