Re: [NTLK] [ANN] 1984 for Newton

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 09:06:08 PDT

        The copyright laws in New Zealand are almost certainly different than
the U.S.A., which uses life of the author plus 70 years--Disney was
able to promote an extension which was approved by Congress, and the
lead attorney for the group that argued for it to be revoked at the
Supreme Court has publically apologized for mishandling his
presentation to the Court in such a way that the law was upheld. In
short, a U.S. citizen would be breaking the law by owning or
distributing this so I hope it stays on non-US mirrors for UNNA!

On Apr 25, 2004, at 4:19 PM, Tony Kan wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a copyright
> supposed to only last 50 years? I think I remember reading this as
> one of
> the investment risks to purchasing Disney shares because the IP rights
> on
> characters such as Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck were now exposed.
>
> Warm regards
>
> Tony Kan
>
> To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] [ANN] 1984 for Newton
>
> On Apr 25, 2004, at 3:05 PM, Jeffrey McMurtrie wrote:
>
>> I have just finished compiling 1984 by George Orwell into a Newtonbook
> <snip>
>>
> Isn't this still copyrighted material?
>
> Marty

Bruce E. Durocher II