Re: [NTLK] More dumb mac/newt questions: packtype, dock, and newtonbooks

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 15:15:39 PDT

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:59:28PM -0700, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:
> The files are sitting on my linux computer; I set up netatalk so the Mac
> could have a network drive mounted to take the strain off its 250Mb hard
> drive. Looking at the file info through resedit the type and creator
> seem to be set properly... and if I do run the package through packtype
> NCU will find it, so I know it's getting set... (I installed some
> programs after running them through packtype - before, NCU wouldn't see
> them, and after, they installed just fine - so I know for sure packtype
> works.)

There's a space at the end of one of those entries. (The TYPE one, I
think.) Occasionally, on netatalk drives, that space will get trimmed
off. I have no idea why, but it sometimes does. Put it back, and it
works better.

> Second question:
>
> I finally got the right dongle for my ethernet card and after a few
> tries it managed to find my printer (appletalk aware network laserjet)
> and print a note, then after a few more tries and some frustration with
> remembering all the settings in all the different places on both the mac
> and the newt, managed to find the LC and connect to NCU via appletalk.
> Then just on a whim, to make sure the connection was stable, I hit the
> "backup" button on the newt and wandered away. The newton complained
> that it had lost connection with the mac, so I look at the mac and ...
> mouse frozen. Completely unresponsive. I killed the power, and on
> reboot ... no happy mac. I got the disk with the question mark (can't
> find system disk, I think that means). Tried rebooting again, no dice.
>
> The next day I powered it up so I could stick the system install cd in,
> to see if the hard drive was screwed or if it was just the system file -
> and it booted up just fine.
>
> Colour me confused :-)
>
> So anybody know what I did wrong? Should I not press the backup button
> in Dock but use the one in NCU instead? Or was it something entirely
> different? I know I've had problems trying to install packages browsing
> from the newt, and that should be initiated from the desktop, but I'd
> never tried initiating a backup from the newt.

Old hardware wackiness? That's about all I can chalk it up to, since it
came back after a rest. Probably a flaw someplace in the LC hardware
that's marginal rather than a procedural error.

--
"HTML's a cheap whore. Treating her with respect is possible, and even
preferable, because once upon a time she was a beautiful and virginal