[NTLK] John Sculley 20/20 vision?

From: Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail (izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 16:57:21 PDT

Here is an excerpt, taken from news.com, dating from Oct. 2 2003.
Some of you may have read, if not here is pasting of
http://news.com.com/2008-7351-5085423.html?tag=gutspro
Riding the next technology wave
  October 2, 2003, 4:00 AM PT
  By Dawn Kawamoto
  Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Do you see other similar cases of missed opportunities at other
companies?
  I just don't have the view into the research labs at what a lot of
companies are working on, so I don't know if I can add a lot of
perspective to that. I can look back at something like Newton and feel
that it could have had a very different future than what had turned
out. Newton could have been one of Apple's most profitable investments
ever. Most people are aware Apple spent over $100 million developing
Newton, but Newton was a chance for Apple to start with a clean sheet
of paper and to be able to license both the chip design, as well as the
software. We had a number of partners who had already signed up with
it. The software didn't live up to the early ambitions that we had and
the handwriting ended up being a pretty big embarrassment because it
just didn't work.

  But the hardware inside of Newton, which was the ARM processor, has
gone on to be incredibly successful, and it actually enabled Apple to
make this huge amount of money out of the original Newton investment.
But it's so easy to look backward on things and see decisions that
could have been done differently. It's obviously a lot harder to look
forward.