Re: [NTLK] Newton eBooks and screen sizing

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 12:18:37 PDT

MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:

> Hello Allan, et al:
> I create most Newton eBooks in the MP Landscape mode. In the case of
> children's books, I use the eMate mode, and I typically choose a larger font size, to
> make it easier for children to read. One problem with changing the font
> sizing is that the entire eBook must then be reformatted, so that chapter titles
> start at or near the tops of pages, and so that "orphan" text is reduced.
>
> I have thought about switching to the "other" program to make eBooks
> (BookMaker?), but I don't know squat about it. I have kept the formatted .rtf and
> NP! files that I used to create the NewtonPress books; it would be nice if I
> could send these files on to somebody who is knowledgeable with BookMaker, for
> the final conversion process. (Any takers?)

Well I should probably mention that you might want to use the MP20002up
format. That format is unique in that it can full screen in landscape,
yet because it is really 2 pages being displayed at the same time when
you go to portate mode the formatting does not change. You just see the
one page. If you want to keep formating without "orphan" pages this is
the format to use. And it will be viewable on both a 1x0, 2x00 and
emate. It is not perfect on a 1x0 (the go to page dialouge pop up is
not rendered properly), but it does work.

Bookmaker by default is Classic format. Which does work fine on all
Newts (yes even the emate). And with one command it will always start
at the beginning of the page even if you change fonts or styles:

.subject 1 startspage
Name of your chapter here.

Hmm come to think of it Press allows you to do this as well. Do a page
break at the end of each chapter. Then the next chapter will always be
at the top of the next page. The command is at the top of the "format"
menu.

-Dan