Re: [NTLK] Battery pack (was: Dead 2100?)

From: Ray Zschau (loco_1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 17:42:16 PDT

Thanks a lot everyone! I made sure to remove all PC cards before
trying to fire the newt back up last night. I tried multiple soft
resets, a hard reset, as well as a complete brainwipe, both with the
battery installed and without. I was able to get a "half start" where
it makes half a chime and shuts off after the screen is on for under a
second. I was also able to get the yes/no screen to pop up, but the
touchpad wouldn't accept either answer. :)

I decided to take out the battery and leave it unplugged overnight so
that the capacitor would run down. I probably got this info from your
site way back. I plugged it in a few minutes ago, and it fired right
up. The battery seems to be charging with no problems as I type this.
To everyone out there, make sure to keep a little charge in your
battery at all times, or not have it in the newton when it decides to
flip on you. :) This is the first time I've had my newt give me a
scare. Good thing the fix ended up to be as easy as powering down and
waiting.

Also, how common is it to run into problems with the power switch? Not
that mine has any trouble currently. I just heard it could be a common
place for faults to occur.

Ray