[NTLK] Emates .. horsepower vs. operating system

From: Goodwin, Greg (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 07:04:51 PDT

        The Emate does do really well with the ATA cards. Thanks for
the suggestion whoever mentioned that the other day. I've got a 40 mb
card running in the Emate now, and I'm able to read and write to it
fairly well. It seems to be less sluggish as far as some programs
working than with the linear flash. Menu moves slow, but that is ATA
for you.

        So I am REALLY starting to wonder what the extra horsepower of
the N2000 really accomplishes.

        The Emate can...

1) Play mods
2) Sound record
3) Play back
4) Use ATA cards
5) Play movies fairly smoothly.

        So how well does a Emate work with MP3's (afraid to ask), and
other tasks. It seems more and more what I thought was a limitation of
horsepower on the Newton 130 was really just a limitation of the
operating system.

        Humor me for a bit, I am a old time Newton user, never planned
to pick up a Emate on the grounds that it was a underpowered Newton as a
laptop (said to myelf, why not carry a Mac Duo... same size, does more.)
And dispite thinking all this, all that it can do, it's case, weight,
and abilities with a built in keyboard are really growing on me. Not
bad for $20. ;)

     But help me knock around this question... you have the Newton 2000
and the Emate, both with OS 2.1. What does that extra horsepower really
let the N2000 do over the Emate?

     (Wish the Emate had two PCMCIA slots... that would rock.)

        And WAS THERE EVER A PROCESSOR SPEED UP FOR THE EMATE?