Re: [NTLK] Euro filing reveals Apple 'handheld computer'

From: Nicolas Zinovieff (krugazor_at_free.fr)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 02:16:35 PDT

On 14 Aug, 2004, at 01:35, Vaguely Radio wrote:

> You'd know more than me, but it would seem that with a low-power
> processor, lack of optical drive, and changes to screen brightness and
> display power, that the battery life could be brought more into the
> 5-hour mark much like the iBooks/PowerBooks purport to have (and can
> have, if the screen is very dim and the drive isn't spinning up
> constantly).

Have you ever tried to run OSX on a slow processor (ie low
consumption)? :D
No... In my own experience, UNIX is not great at managing power.
Besides, it's a foolish thing to say "if it works for bigger devices,
then you just have to strip down a few features to make it work on an
embedded device", and Apple designers are no fools. Building a new PDA
requires a new OS or an evolution of an old PDA OS (hint hint).

> Again you would know more about this. I do know, as The Register
> references, some people that use Inkwell in unison with their Wacom
> tablets. But certainly not exclusively, they of course have a keyboard
> to fall back on when necessary.

Well, I know a bunch of people with tablets (I own one as well), and I
had a chance to chat with people working on InkWell, and it does look
like there are not that many people using HWR on their computers.

> It could indeed. Of course these rumours have been around for ages. I
> think initial response to a Tablet would be less stellar than the
> response if Apple came up with a whole new PDA operating system (in the
> nascent market for PDA operating systems, it would be risky but not
> probably as risky as the introduction of Newton OS was in the 90's).

According to Jobs, there is no market. Developing a new OS is very
expensive. Developing an OS that will work on a very small set of
computers is just not worth it. Even Mac OS X is based on something
else...

I think you're more realistic and even probably right when you assume
that this digital hub thing will evolve in something like video
streaming to a "portable screen", which can be your TV, your laptop, or
a different piece of hardware. Right now, though, the iPod is not the
right device for storage as in wireless storage.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas