[NTLK] eMate 300 Display Cable Replacement (and installation)?

From: irfon_at_ambienautica.com
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 12:56:19 PDT

Hi,

I've got a pair of eMates. One of them has taken the proverbial dive
due to the display cable problem. The other is still fine, but my
girlfriend is loathe to use it because she doesn't want to ruin another
one. (It was her eMate that broke, and I loaned her mine in the
meantime.)

I'm skeptical about my ability to do the display cable fix myself. I'm
not very soldering-friendly, especially for fine soldering as
recommended on the site.

I found this place:
http://www.angelfire.com/oz/newtonian/edc.htm

They're selling replacement display cables which they say are hardened
to make them more durable. They also offer installation service.
However, it's not cheap -- $49 USD for the cable and then for
installation you need to cover labour, which I'm not sure offhand what
that will cost.

(If the person who runs that site is on the list, how much will that
cost? ;) )

I was just wondering, before I send a couple of eMates and a whole bunch
of money off into the ether, has anybody dealt with this company? Has
anybody bought their display cable replacement? Did you install it
yourself, or did you get them to install it? If the former, how hard
was it? If the latter, how much did it cost? If you've done the
repair yourself, how hard was it? Do you think if I printed up the
instructions and brought it to an electronics ship, they'd be able to
do it? Umm. Anything else I should consider?