Re: [NTLK] eMate 300 Display Cable Replacement (and installation)?

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 16:28:27 PDT

> I found this place:
> http://www.angelfire.com/oz/newtonian/edc.htm

> I was just wondering, before I send a couple of eMates and a whole bunch
> of money off into the ether, has anybody dealt with this company? Has
> anybody bought their display cable replacement? Did you install it
> yourself, or did you get them to install it? If the former, how hard
> was it? If the latter, how much did it cost? If you've done the
> repair yourself, how hard was it? Do you think if I printed up the
> instructions and brought it to an electronics ship, they'd be able to
> do it? Umm. Anything else I should consider?

I wrote a review about this cable some time ago, see

http://www.pda-soft.de/ematecable.html

Be aware that it won’t do just to replace the cable, you also need to
take care of the hinges. If you don’t, your new cables will be toast
soon, too. See

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

There are people out there, including myself, who can do this for
you and can also replace the cables. It is even possible to repair your
cable (well, at least most likely) if you feel confident enough and
have both the skill and the equipment to solder under a microscope.

I have fixed a couple of cables that way, and all of them are still
going strong. If you are interested, I can try to fix yours, too.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de