[NTLK] Microsoft MN-520 WiFi card and Newton

From: Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 12:51:42 PDT

I took a $12 gamble and ordered the Microsoft MN-520 from CompUSA. It
arrived today. Plugging this into the Newton brings up an error
message "Newton cannot recognize this type of card". I downloaded
Kalisys' More WiFi Cards and (for the hell of it) the Lantern Patch,
but the problem persisted. This in and of itself is not particularly
surprising: the MN-520 is not listed among the supported cards
anywhere.

Unless the error message above is an indication of more fundamental
problems, I'm guessing it would be a relatively easy thing to add
support for this card to the Newton: The More WiFi Cards package is
based upon the FreeBSD "wi" driver, which lists the Microsoft MN-520
among the supported cards. Perhaps an updated version of either
WaveLAN/IEEE or More WiFi Cards in the near future?

M.