Re: [NTLK] [POLL] What's Your favorite Newton?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 03:56:49 PDT

Hm.... My very first Newton was a 120 with NOS 1.3. I loved it. I used
it as my road computer, traveling from church to church for months at a
time. It kept me on top of my schedule, kept me in contact with people,
did my email, printed letters and envelopes--and then I shattered the
screen. Sent to Apple, and gave it a NOS 2.0 update. Used it like that
until it got stolen here in Krakow. Then I bought a 130. It was amazing
how much the extra memory helped, and it was the same form factor.
Amazing device. I really liked it. It had only one down-side--the
screen was not as bright and contrasty as the 120. It did have,
however, the backlight, so, in the end, I think my 130 was my favorite
Newton.

I have since upgraded to a 2100, and I am of the opinion that it is
hands-down the best Newton ever made, but the 130 is a wonderful blend
of size, form and function. For a PDA, the 130 wins. For the best
Newton OS device, the 2100 wins. For the best Newton OS
computer/laptop, I suppose the eMate would have to win, but I've never
used one. I've always suspected it would feel too slow to me, so I
would stick with the 2100. It's difficult for me to pick out one as my
favorite, but I would split it between the 130 and 2100 for my
favorites.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland