Re: [NTLK] ssh client for newton

From: stock_at_csgeeks.org
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 12:34:55 PDT

J.Edward Boniakowski writes:
> I might be able to help. I don't actually have a Newton yet so my
> Newton knowledge is very limited. All the dev resources I've come
> across are about NewtonScript and so on. What is the story with C on
> the Newton? Can you use the free toolchain? What little I know of the
> newton is that it's 'weird', no filesys etc. How feasible do you think
> it is to libs like OpenSSH/L to NOS? Maybe best continued off-list?

For the moment, keeping this on-list, since I know a lot of folks are
interested in an SSH client.

I've done some NS programming, but haven't looked at the C++ development
environment yet. I don't know if it's necessary yet. My thought is to
start by looking at existing projects like nhttplib. I'm working at an
algorithm/protocol level right now, since I don't know what if any actual
code I can reuse from other implementations. If I can get a basic
skeleton, I'll build from there.

SSH v2 is fairly complex. There are actually a minimum of three protocols
involved, plus the actual authentication and encryption algorithms. Since
a lot of it is negotiable, I will most likely focus on the SSH transport
layer first, and avoid all optional bits, testing against a receptive ssh
server on another machine.

I wouldn't hold my breath. As I said, I'm pretty early into this, and it's
also just one hobby sitting in line with others (FWIW: banjo, machining a
scale steam loco, and getting my much-delayed MS). I promise nothing, but
given the Newton support is still so active after 7 years, I figure I have
a little time. ;-)
  -Matt