Re: [NTLK] MP2000u Not Recognizing Modem

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 12:40:12 PDT

> YAMPP (Yet another MessagePad Problem). I received an Optima 144
> Data+Fax 14.4kbps PCMCIA modem with my Newton to connect to the
> Internet. When I tap on Internet Setup and then on Generic, I am
> presented with only Ethernet and AppleTalk, no modem.
>
> However, if I go into Calls and place a call using the modem, it will
> detect that there is no dialtone but that there is a modem.
>
> And yes, when the card is inserted it says "A communications card has
> been inserted" on the slip.

Hmm well first I would suggest checking out UNNA to see if there are any
drivers for that Modem. I think the plain hayes modem drivers should
work for it. And I think they are installed by default in the 2x00.
Check in the prefs under modem to see if the correct modem is selected
and that it is using the right card port. If the settings are right and
none of the standard drivers work, try instaling the modem enabler and
see if you can get it to work with that. I have a newer version of that
card and it works fine with the 28.8 and faster setting under prefs. So
it should work without much fuss I would think.

-Dan