Re: [NTLK] OMP upgrade

From: Josef Chessor (josefcub_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 20:38:09 PDT

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:31:10 -0500, Dale A. Raby <daleraby_at_tds.net> wrote:
> Yes... I got my first OMP at a second hand store for the princely sum of
> fifty cents.
<snipped>

I got my first OMP for the princely sum of $300, from (if you can
believe this) a Best Buy open box table (This was in mid-to-late
1995). I was fortunate in that the unit, manual, and video tape were
there. I was unfortunate because it didn't include the original demo
PCMCIA card or a power adapter. I actually ran that thing on NiCads
and an external charger until 2003. ;)

> Since then I have acquired a couple of Flash storage cards, two Apple
> Newton modems and an MP110. I had hoped to use the email function
> remotely. I gather that this is an impossibility... so as soon as cashflow
> will allow, I intend to get a 2x00.

The 2x00 series will definitely open your eyes to what a Newton can
do. I myself acquired from a wonderful friend another OMP and two
Newton 2000s, with a flash storage card and PCMCIA modem (and tons of
registered software).

It's been a wonderful learning experience, as well as something that's
just the notch higher than I expected when I first saw it. I can now
write e-mails on the go, and easily (easier than with the OMP anyway)
send them when I get home. The OMP still does personal organization
quite well though, and I keep mine primed and ready "just in case". ;)

> Jobs was an idiot to cancel this thing... even the OMP beats the best Palm
> has to offer!

I've tried a Compaq H/PC, a Palm III, and a Royal DaVinci. I used
each for perhaps two DAYS before going back to my OMP. And, when all
of my Newtons are dead, I'll probably revert to pencil-and-paper.
There is still no worthy successor to Newton in my eyes and
experience.

...Josef