Re: [NTLK] Phoney? Whats that?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 12:24:38 PDT

Andy Galluzzi wrote:

> Looking for the "Newton Book Maker User’s Guide" in google, I fall in
> this site:
*snip*
You do know that is on UNNA right? It is apart of the Bookmaker package
and separately as a PDF as well if I remember correctly

> There is somebody talking about a Phoney App for the Newton, that looks
> like somebody was using for hacking. What does this do? Why do they do this?

Probably what they are talking about is a Telephony app. Basically you
could use this to make free phone calls. It generated certain telephone
sounds through the speaker that could be used on a public phone so you
didn't have to pay. I suspect that they no longer work as the phone
systems have changed a lot since those apps were created. I would not
even try anyway, they might be able to track who was trying to use it.
Besides with cheap phone cards that are available now, why would you
want to bother?

-Dan