Re: [NTLK] Phoney? Whats that?

From: Steele Campbell (the.vampire_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 12:27:23 PDT

As a best guess (based soley on the name since the archive doesn't
appear to be valid), the pkg would likely emulate a
Red/Blue/Black/White/etc... Box. These were devices engineered by
Phreakers (think of a mix of hackers and crackers operating on the
*ph*one lines). These boxes could produce a dial tone that, when
played into a payphoen from the early 90s (and earlier) would allow
the user to make free phone calls. A rudimentary version of this was
shown (jokingly) in the movie "Hackers".

The whole story behind this is actually a fascinating one. The
original "phreak", who went by the alias Captain Crunch, used a penny
whistle found in a box of Captain Crunch to produce the exact DTMF
tones that a pay phone uses (he must have had a lot of time on his
hands). Since then many people have done this calling *ahem*,
questionable content numbers or placing long-distance prank phone
calls, or, occasionally to learn about routing and such.

Each coloured box had a different use. Blue Boxes were employed (I
believe) as the aforementioned, play sound, get free phone call, as
were black boxes, however white boxes were simply a standard handset
with the cables stripped and gator clips attached. If the person doing
this did it properly, they could go to a phone box along the side of
the road (at night, obviously) and connect the white box to the wires,
effectively allowing them to listen in and make phone calls from
someone else's line.

THis is highly illegal and in some states a federal crime.

As for Hack Canada, they are an interetsing site (I used to frequent
it) however very little on it still applies (for script kiddies,
veterans don't need little "proggies" to do this for them).

Little longer than I would have liked, but HTH

-St.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:12:10 -0300, Andy Galluzzi <agalluzzi_at_gmx.net> wrote:
> Looking for the "Newton Book Maker User's Guide" in google, I fall in
> this site:
>
> http://www.hackcanada.com/cyb0rg/asm/apple/
>
> and thought links, fall in this other one:
>
> http://www.hackcanada.com/whacked/filelists/newton.html
>
> There is somebody talking about a Phoney App for the Newton, that looks
> like somebody was using for hacking. What does this do? Why do they do this?
>
> Andy.
> --

Thank you kindly.
-Steele