[NTLK] [ANN] New Newton eBooks. Get 'em while they're fresh! ;=}

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 00:28:30 PDT

Dear fellow Newtonians,

even though some of my previous Newton eBook editions are stuck since ages
in the UNNA submission queue, I won't let this setback stop me from
offering you a couple new titles. There's something for everyone (well,
nearly...). Think of it as my gift for those who've got a long distance
trip to the Newton conference in Paris next weekend - grab something weird
to read, pack yer Deep Green and WordSquare, and you'll survive anything
public transport can hurl at you (maybe install ScratchPad for retaliatory
purposes, too...).

Oh, and all others get the homework to produce three (3) new Newton eBooks
by end of the conference and upload them to http://www.UNNA.org.
Information on Newton Bookmaking can be found at the Wiki
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MakeNewtonEbooksIndex - it's
easy and it's fun, just try it! Anybody who ever worked with a text editor
can create Newton books like 1-2-3.

Anyway, find below stuff at UNNA whenever that's updated, or drop me a line
to get it mailed ASAP (offer valid until early Sept. 1st, then I'll be
offline for some time - I'll serve any requests after that date sometime
later). Of course I have all Newton formats and the original text source
wrapped into one delicious .zip-file each. Enjoy!

1. Balzac, Honoré de, and Amphiteatrof, Alexander - Folk-Tales of Napoleon
(1902)
         Ever since I first read Doyle's Adventures of Etienne, I found the
myths around Napoleon very fascinating. Here you find a French view of him
as Father of the Soldiers of France, as well as a more supernatural Russian
interpretation of the Napoleon-phenomenon. Curious reading, nicely rounds
off the Etienne Gerard-tales.
         File under ./books/Fiction_Poetry/Balzac, Honoré de/Folk-Tales of
Napoleon (1902)

2. Doyle, Arthur Conan - The Great Shadow and Other Napoleonic Tales
         A couple stories set in the Napoleonic era, one features Brigadier
Etienne Gerard. From the master of Napoleonic swashbucklery!
         File under ./books/Fiction_Poetry/Doyle_SirArthurConan/The Great
Shadow and Other Napoleonic Tales

3. Blackbird, Andrew J - History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of
Michigan (1887)
         North American Natives, how they lived. Autobiography of Andrew J.
Blackbird, with a lot of historic stuff (broken government treaties, abuse,
murder of his brother shortly before he was to be ordained a priest in
Rome, corruption of Indian Agents, etc.), mythology and a dictionary and
grammar. Also contains the 21 Commandments of the tribes. One of the most
fascinating autobiographies I ever read.
         File under ./books/History/History of the Ottawa and Chippewa
Indians of Michigan (1887)

4. Yarrow, H.C. - Mortuary Customs of the North American Indians
         North American Natives, how they died (or rather, were buried).
 From putting the dear departed out in trees for birds to feed on to proper
emtombments - many burial modes and associated rites of North American
Natives, compiled from a great number of sources. Also many comparisons to
funeral-traditions of other cultures. Interesting stuff.
         File under ./books/History/Mortuary Customs of the North American
Indians

5. Darrow, Clarence - Crime, Its Cause and Treatment (1922)
         From a judge of over 40 years of service, many comments and
thoughts on crime, the criminal, treatment of crimes, avengeance, causes
and motivations of crime, etc.
Very interesting, especially if you live in a country that still
appreciates capital punishment (e.g. Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, Japan,
USA,...).
         File under ./books/law and crime/Crime, Its Cause and Treatment (1922)

6. Mackey, Albert G. - The Principles of Masonic Law (1856)
         By public request: Regulations, procedures and judicial code of
19th century Freemasonry.
         File under ./books/Philosophy_Religion/Freemasonry/The Principles
of Masonic Law (1856)

7. Tietjens, Eunice - Profiles from China (1917)
         Eunice captured her 1917 impressions of the the "new" China and
its Chinese and foreign inhabitants, creating a nice and to-the-point
impression of the situations, the environment and the viewer's own cultural
background (as all travel literature tells you more about the traveller
than about the country visited).
         File under ./books/Travel_Geography/Asia/China/Tietjens, Eunice -
Profiles from China (1917)

8. Cooper, Michael D. - Starman 2 - The Runaway Asteroid (2004)
         A new SF series "in 1950ies Style", created and selfpublished by
three enthusiasts; see www.starmanseries.com . I haven't read this yet, so
I can't say anything about it's virtues, but as in many 1950s (read "Deep
Cold War Era") SF (and the greater part of the US production in this genre
at any time) it appears to be somewhat militaristic. Well, gotta read this
to judge it. -- Interesting that people in our age can't imagine an
interesting and challenging future without plenty blazing guns. Folks, read
more Bruce Sterling (admitted -- this http://www.gutenberg.net/etext/101 is
non-fiction, but still a good and relevant yarn, I've also seen it
somewhere as Newton eBook, but can't remember where)! Or Cory Doctorow
(http://www.unna.org/view.php?/books/Fiction_Poetry/Cory_Doctorow, esp. the
grand Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom)! Start to-day!
         File under ./books/Fiction_Poetry/SciFi_Fantasy

9. Gratacap, L.P. - The Certainty of a Future Life in Mars (1903)
         1900s Mars-SF, like Burroughs' John Carter-stories
(http://www.unna.org/view.php?/books/Fiction_Poetry/SciFi_Fantasy/EdgarRiceBurroughs)
or "Gulliver on Mars" (also available somewhere as Newton eBook). Read them
all, Mars is a cool place (excuse the lame pun).
         File under ./books/Fiction_Poetry/SciFi_Fantasy

10. Wallace, Alfred Russel - Is Mars habitable? (1907)
         The astronomer Percival Lowell claimed the existence of water on
Mars (and thus, the possibility of life) in the 1900s; this work by Wallace
competently refutes Lowell's "Mars and his Canals". An excellent discussion
of astronomy, geology and science's state of the art then (and a must-read
for sci-fi fans of the era's Mars tales). Too bad Wallace was wrong and
there was (and is!) water. -- This Newton eBook edition respectfully
dedicated to the staff at ESA who proved that beyond doubt in early 2004.
         File under ./books/Natural_Sciences/Astronomy/Mars/Wallace, Alfred
Russel - Is Mars habitable (1907)

Well, that's all. Enjoy, do your homework, and keep the green.

Sincerly,

D. Vollkasko

P.S.: If you have created any nice ebooks yourselves recently, I wouldn't
at all be averse to you mailing me with what you got there. ;=}

The Original DJ Vollkasko's(TM) Newton eBook Editions

*** Get it here or from a www.UNNA.org near you! ***

Adorno, Theodor W. - On Popular Music (1941)

New! Balzac, Honoré de, and Amphiteatrof, Alexander - Folk-Tales of
Napoleon (1902)

New! Blackbird, Andrew J - History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of
Michigan (1887)

New! Cooper, Michael D. - Starman 2 - The Runaway Asteroid (2004)

New! Darrow, Clarence - Crime, Its Cause and Treatment (1922)

Debord, Guy - Introduction to a Critique of Urban Geography (1955),
English/German (Situationiste International)

Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Adventures of Etienne (1903) (Napoleonic Tales of
Etienne Gerard)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Exploits of Brigadier Gerard (...more Napoleonic
Tales of Etienne Gerard)
New! Doyle, Arthur Conan - The Great Shadow and Other Napoleonic Tales
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Final Problem (S. Holmes feat. Moriarty)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Valley of Fear (S. Holmes, Moriarty mentioned)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - When the World Screamed (1929) (feat.
Prof.Challenger)

Dunsany, Lord - 51 Tales (1915)
Dunsany, Lord - Book of Wonders
Dunsany, Lord - The Emperor's Crystal

New! Gratacap, L.P. - The Certainty of a Future Life in Mars (1903)

Haggard, Henry Rider (1856-1925) - A Tale of Three Lions

Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Rogues in the House (Conan the Cimmerian
goes Newton!)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Shadows in Zamboula (1935, Conan again)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Devil in Iron (1934, Conan yet again)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Tower of Elephant (...and still more
Conan!)

Knigge, Adolph Freiherr von - Über den Umgang mit Menschen (1788)

Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Herbert West, Reanimator (1921-1922)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Pickman's Model (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Call of Cthulhu (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Cats of Ulthar (1920)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Picture in the House (1919)

New! Mackey, Albert G. - The Principles of Masonic Law (1856)

New! Tietjens, Eunice - Profiles from China (1917)

Vague, Tom - Boy Scout's Guide to the Situationist International: The
Effect The S.I. Had On Paris '68 And All That, Through The Angry Brigade
And King Mob To The Sex Pistols

New! Wallace, Alfred Russel - Is Mars habitable? (1907)

Whibley, Charles - A Book of Scoundrels (Highway men and other criminals of
classic Britain)

Wilde, Oscar - The Picture of Dorian Gray

New! Yarrow, H.C. - Mortuary Customs of the North American Indians

*** "Don't ask what your Newton can do for you -
ask what you can do for your Newton!" - J.F. Newtennedy ***