Re: [NTLK] What next?

From: Terence Griffin (terence.griffin_at_nist.gov)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 14:06:01 PDT

  Doen NCU know how to talk through USB?

  Does your computer not have a serial port?

  I just got a MiniDIN-8/male to D9/female to hook my Newton to
  my Win98 PC. Aside from fooling around with the COM port setting
  in NCU, it worked fine.

  If you're using a USB port to simulate a serial port, you may have
  to assign it to a COM port, like COM1. I don't know, you might need
  some special software to do that. I wonder if there are internal PCI
  cards that provide a serial port?

  I just got a new computer to replace the old Win98 machine. I sure
  hope it has serial port!

  PS: You might want to test the continuity of your cables. Maybe one
  of them broke. You can get MiniDIM-8/M to DB9/F at PCCables.com.
  search for item 70810. MiniDIM-8/M-M is item 70803.

  Hope that helps!

On Aug 29, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Sean Riddle wrote:
> Sorry to reply so much to my own message, but I wanted to clarify
> about the purpose of the null modem adapter. I'm still using the
> straight-through cable to convert DIN8 to DB9, as before. But now I've
> got a null modem adapter between that and the DB9-USB. Is that what
> I'm supposed to do with it?

  - Tere (terence DOT griffin AT nist DOT gov)