Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Woody Smith (woodysmith_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 19:52:47 PST

Hi Andrew
Welcome to the list. Yes this type of question has been frequently
asked.
You can sync with iCal and Address book using newtsync, see
<http://homepage.mac.com/nowhereman77/hacks/newton/>
but you will first need to install the NewtSync package onto your 2100.
  So you will need to have some way of connecting to your desktop/laptop
computer. Since the 2100 does not have a serial port you will need to
add one with either a serial dongle that connects to the Newton
Interface Connector or install PCBman's SER-001 (which you will want to
do anyways).
see <http://mrpcbman.tripod.com/SER-001.htm>
On the mac side you will need a USB/serial adapter, the Keyspan adapter
has worked for many. The Keyspan USB to serial adapter, about $20 on
eBay should get you connected to NCU in classic. You can also use this
adapter to connect to Escale, Newtsync and NewTen. But installing
Classic and OS X
drivers can cause problems.
See FAQ IIIB <http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/> for discussion of
connecting.
See also <http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/> for ethernet.
An alternative is to borrow (search archiver for 'card loaner program')
or purchase a flash card with necessary ethernet and internet packages
installed.

Once you have the ethernet/internet packages installed all necessary
install, sync, backup, and printing can be done with an ethernet
connection to your Mac through an ethernet hub. Printing will require
the LPR driver from <http://www.kallisys.com/newton/lpr/> and the
installation of a CUPS printer driver on your Mac.

hope this helps.

Woody