Re: [NTLK] Newbie

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 12:03:06 PST

> From: Lee Morgan <leeamorgan_at_comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newbie
> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:14:04 -0500
>
> Fist I'd like to say thanks to everyone for the warm welcome :-)
> And it looks like the Newton is in a great state.
> I was looking for email capability as well as web browsing - nothing to
> fancy (fancy being flash / quicktime movies). More along the lines of
> being able to browser my common hits such as Apple's site and developer
> sites such as macdevcenter and cocoadevcentral.
>
> Is there a mail client for the Newton?

SimpleMail for POP, Mail V for IMAP. Both by Simon Bell.

At the Newton Wiki there's a Complete Moron's Manual that'll walk you
through SimpleMail setup.

(Hint: Any new thing you try - why don't you write that up and add you
own guides to the Wiki and help the next newbie? Much recommended
behaviour, I say! ;=} )

> Would I have any problems browsing image intensive sites (like
> Apple's?).

Technically possible, but think of the speed issue.

> And for that matter what kind of hardware would I need to have internet
> access for the Newton? (Note: I don't have a land line phone - only
> cell).

Then a GSM card. But I don't know about these things. Ask Roman Pixell.

DJ Vollkasko