Re: [NTLK] Lucent Bronze cards

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 10:59:23 PST

Martin Joseph wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2004, at 10:00 PM, paul oberman wrote:
>

>>here are the pictures:
>>
>>http://homepage.mac.com/poberman/wifi/PhotoAlbum153.html
>>

> Huh, I see on the back of your card is says "bootrom: NO".
>
> Originally these Wavelan cards of all flavors had some flash memory on
> them that held firmware... Later in the game the vendors of these
> cards decided to save a few zazafroomonkies by eliminating the flash on
> each card.

That may be true Marty, but typically a boot ROM is used to boot a computer's
operating system over the network. Look at just about any PCI Ethernet card,
it will have a socket for a 2764 ROM chip. The chip would contain enough code
to bootstrap the machine by contacting a server on the network and downloading
the rest of the OS loader into memory and then executing it.

What you're talking about is sort of like software modem vs. hardware modem.
When you install drivers for a soft modem, what it contains is the code that
runs the generic DSP or whatever on the modem.