Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 13:20:32 PST

exactly! for under a thousand bucks I can create a
kick-a$$ machine that can handle everything I can
throw at it...including applications that I wrote back
on my IBM PC Junior...in DOS!!!...GWBASIC even!
And that's only if I go with current hardware. If I go
one generation back (Pentium P4s, instead of the 64bit
ones) I can get the machine built for under $500!
Heck, I got my sister a Dell (2.4mhz P4), 512mb ram,
80gb HD, 17" LCD monitor, HP color inkjet, web-cam,
DVD -+R -+RW, plus a seperate CDROM RW for under $600!
(of course, I used my corporate discount, but that
only gave back $100...) I had a coupon for free
shipping too, so $589 was the total...unbelievable
bargain!
Plus, it came with XP home.
At that price, you can buy three...never have to worry
about obsolete hardware!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net> wrote:
> Robert Benschop wrote:
<snip>
> I like PC hardware
> because it's fun to hack around with, and cheap.
> And I don't have the cash
> to put down for any Mac hardware.
>
> --
> Victor Rehorst - victor_at_newtontalk.net -
> chuma_at_chuma.org
> NewtonTalk list administrator -
> http://www.newtontalk.net
> Will the last person to leave the platform please
> turn off the backlight?

=====
In 1913, Lee De Forest was prosecuted by U.S. government officials
for claiming to potential investors that his company, RCA, would soon be
able to transmit the human voice over the Atlantic Ocean. The
prosecuting officials argued that his claim was so utterly ridiculous
that he was surely ripping off investors. He was ultimately released
but not before being admonished by the judge to stop making any more
fraudulent claims.