Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 23:10:18 PST

the hardware is a commodity. If you don't replace or
upgrade your computer at least every 3 years, you'll
be so far behind the curve, nothing will run on your
machine!
And honestly? I like everything that is in my "box".
But I just upgraded my CPU to 1.1Ghz on my main
knock-around machine and then overclocked it to 2ghz
(I have a liquid cooling system to keep the CPU from
toasting). All the innards are the same...RAM, video
and hard drives (I run 8 drives on 4 IDE busses). And
when this mobo can no longer handle the CPU I want,
I'll pop in a new mobo...heck, they only cost $120
with a P42.2ghz!
My only "gotcha" hit me when "they" changed from AT
style to ATX style cases...Had to get a new case on
that upgrade!
That's the joy of a PC system. The hardware doesn't
matter! It's cheap and so what if it doesn't last 25
years...who would want to use a 25 year old computer
(of course that's an exageration...but still, a 7 year
old computer? why?...unless you paid $2,500 for it
originally then the amortized value over the 7 years
hasn't been a good return on the investment...)
I hate throwing out stuff that cost a bundle to
acquire. I still have my 350mb ESDI (or is that EDSI)
hard drive (5.25 full height) because I paid $250 for
it back when...I can't imagine spending premium
dollars on a machine that will be obsolete in 18
months.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Chris Edwards <wenchris_at_gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:
> Try checking the stats at Which magazine (UK) this
> genuinely shows the
> Mac to be more reliable followed by sony(this was a
> while ago) with
> gateway,time dell waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind, these
> people are slightly
> pro windows so the playing field is at least level
> and this excluded
> viruses and was on the first year
> Chris
> England

=====
In 1913, Lee De Forest was prosecuted by U.S. government officials
for claiming to potential investors that his company, RCA, would soon be
able to transmit the human voice over the Atlantic Ocean. The
prosecuting officials argued that his claim was so utterly ridiculous
that he was surely ripping off investors. He was ultimately released
but not before being admonished by the judge to stop making any more
fraudulent claims.