Re: [NTLK] [OT] Sudden monitor death

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 22:53:40 PST

Not really when you consider what a new monitor (or
even a used monitor) goes for these days. I wouldn't
venture to do it yourself either. The CRT tube on
these things act like a giant battery storing energy.
And in the case of a color monitor, that can be over
65,000 (sixty-five-thousand) volts! Nothing to be
trifling with. I got zapped by a color TV once, it
threw me 10 feet backwards into a wall. I couldn't
catch my breath for 15 minutes. The voltage probe I
was using fried at 87,000 volts (bad flyback...)
Check this out:
http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=MON#21-inch%20(and%20above)%20Monitors
They have a 21 inch monitor (refurb) for $269. It will
probably cost close to this to repair yours, and
you'll still get a used monitor back... I remember a
website somewhere that offered free shipping too!
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_mon_sony20.html 20"
refurb for $89

You might want to go to the MarketPro computer show
Next Weekend at the Capitol Expo center. That's off of
28 just across RT50 heading towards Manassas. It's on
your left.
2/14/2004
2/15/2004 Dulles Expo Center
Chantilly, Virginia Sat 9:30a-4p, Sun 9:30a-4p

Check out: http://www.marketproshows.com/

Admission is like $6...but if you go to the webpage,
you can print out a one dollar off coupon.

They usually have a vendor with this giant steel wire
rack with several dozen monitors on in. He sells them
for like $200 for 20" and above.

Well worth the trip. I have to work that saturday so
that means I have to make up Valentines to my wife on
Sunday...so I won't be going this month...I may go
next month though.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net>
wrote:
<snip>

> What you describe sounds a lot to what I did
> experience. I guess there isn't
> much hope to replace the flyback?
>
> -Laurent.
> --

> Laurent Daudelin AIM/iChat: LaurentDaudelin
> <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
> Logiciels Nemesys Software
> mailto:laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net

=====
In 1913, Lee De Forest was prosecuted by U.S. government officials
for claiming to potential investors that his company, RCA, would soon be
able to transmit the human voice over the Atlantic Ocean. The
prosecuting officials argued that his claim was so utterly ridiculous
that he was surely ripping off investors. He was ultimately released
but not before being admonished by the judge to stop making any more
fraudulent claims.