[NTLK] Battery problems?

From: Bret Feinblatt (bafein_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 13:11:29 PST

Hey hey -
        I'm still trying to figure out the cause of my Newton problem. The one
where it resets for no apparent reason, says the reason was that the
batteries were changed when they weren't, that kind of thing. BTW,
Newton 2000, upgraded.
        As I'm stuck being budget-minded, I'd like to try and fix the problem
before buying another one.

        I live in icy, snowy Buffalo NY. I've noticed something lately. It
seems that it most often does its mysterious-reset trick when I come in
from the cold.

        The battery has a small crack in the casing near the ejection end,
evidently the result of a fall it took before I had the sense to buy a
little leather Newton carrier (looks like Spock's tricorder, but I
haven't dropped the Newt since). Is it possible that there's some
damage to the battery itself that would account for this? Perhaps
something involving the thermistor I read it has in it?

        The battery also doesn't quite eject the way I would expect it to - it
gets pushed a millimeter or so, then you have to use a handy fingernail
to pull it the rest of the way. As I tend to nibble my nails, this can
be trickier than it sounds. I also suspect battery or battery case
damage to be the culprit.

        Sound like I'm looking in the right direction?

Thanks

--
Censors are people who know more than they think you ought to.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html