Re: [NTLK] Multi-format book packages (was Reformating Newton Books)

From: Marcus Koppenburg (marcuskoppenburg_at_web.de)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 10:45:59 PST

On 12 Feb 2004, at 23:46, DJ Vollkasko wrote:

> Waitasec - Newton eBooks' packages can contain more than one resolution?
> Now, please, let's get this fixed - how does this wonderful magic
work?

Once i was interested in this subject also. But i never started the
project.

If you look in a bookmaker output (xyz.f), you see many array
operations (create, fill, add). And some of these arrays are clearly for
page-layout. So my theory was to create from the same source with
several copies of bookmaker (hacked for the desired sizes) a bunch
of f-files. From these cut the layout information and paste them into 1 f-
file, which you then proceed with in the usual way : with NTK produce
the final book-pkg.

As first step one has to compile a bookmaker source file with at least 2
different BM and inspect the output with a program, which can
compare 2 files and mark the difference, e.g. Word or some
HexEditors. Then you know which parts are unique for a certain size.
These should be those for copy/paste.

Marcus

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html