Re: [NTLK] OT cd VS Vinyl

From: Anil (anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 06:05:15 PST

Dear Johannes,

Vinyl doesn't have to be noisy, only if the records are badly treated
i.e not stored properly. But worse is the horrendous diamonds most
cheapo record players have. If you think a high end CD player sounds
good then you will be in for an even bigger shock when you hear what a
rigourously engineered record deck can sound like.

It is staggering how much info there is on a vinyl disc, and the sound
that can emanate from one of these beauties is truly fantastic. Sure
vinyl is a lot more work, record decks need some maintenance at the
very least, and vinyl needs to be treated with care and stored
correctly. But in my opinion it is worth it because of the quality of
the music I have in my home. Plus I can pick up discs for $1, then
there's album art.

I also love CD because of it's ease of use, relatively maintenance
free, being able to skip tracks and not have to change side is another
bonus.

Vinyl pops and general surface noise are due to poor playback
equipment, and is not inherent of the medium in general.

Kindest regards

Anil K Solanki
United Kingdom, MP 2100, MP 130

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html