Re: [NTLK] What the h...(Wireless:WEP vs NOT) help, please....

From: Alan Toops (alantoops_at_cs.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 06:27:51 PST

Berthe,

I am at a loss as to the connection problem you are experiencing between
your newt, the "snow" airport and your MAC. I just picked up a second MP2100
installed all of the necessary drivers and without WEP connected to Escale
and downloaded packages to it.

MAC address filtering is more secure than either the low level WEP supported
by the Silver wavelan card or the 128 WEP supported by the Gold but as as
been discussed on newtontalk, none will prevent a dedicated snooper from
decoding enough network traffic to get information.

I was able to set-up MAC filtering on my wavlan silver and connect to
Escale. My set-up goes ...MP 2100 (wavlan silver with mac address) to
wireless router with MAC address added to the wireless list to IMAC
connected by Ethernet. Escale settings were not changed. I donšt use
Appletalk so it is unchecked. I do use Rendezvous it is checked.

alan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html