Re: [NTLK] Keyboard - sNewtendo 0.3

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 22:38:01 PST

> As far as the keyboard driver goes, I've got lots of questions. This is
> going to be more of an undertaking than I was first aware. My biggest
> worry is how to tell if a key has been released. I'll keep you posted.
> don't actually have a keyboard yet, so again, hard to tell for sure :D.

   Do you mean the standard Newton serial keyboard? Are you doing
direct serial access to the keyboard, or working though the system
keyboard driver? Doesn't the keyboard send a particular byte when a
key goes up?

   As for the system driver, I don't see any obvious places in the ROM
source to look except for SendAvailableKeys, IsRepeatable, and
CancelAutoKey. IsRepeatable is probably the best bet - it takes a
TTime as an argument (perhaps when the key went down - I haven't check
what calls IsRepeatable), and looks like it somehow compares it to the
current time (it branches to GetTimeNow or some such named function).
But all of these functions also look like they call things in the
TKybdExtension class, which is in the high ROM image - Filliip might
have a decompile of that particular class from the image.

   Good luck!

Jim

Jim Witte
jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us