Re: [NTLK] Multi-format Books?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 12:07:40 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Steele
Subject: [NTLK] Multi-format Books?

Does the double page format option I get with the intertext journals
count? I was surprised to have several format options available when
I downloaded a couple of these books and the two page version looks
very slick on my upgraded emate. There was at least one other format
available to me in the package but I didn't test it.
After DJ sent me a copy of the book, I know what it is.

Ok here is the *scoop* as they say. It was made with Newton Press MP2000-UP
format. You have no doubt seen that format in the list if you have used
Press. And while MP2000, MP 2000 landscape are fitted perfectly to the
screen they look as one big book and can not be viewed in the other
orientation (portrait or landscape only). Well MP2000-up is formatted a
little bit differently, and actually it DOES show two sizes in the
preferences box, but only when in landscape. You see it since it divides
the landscape view into two separate pages, you can view it either way.
When you view in portrait mode, it shows the whole book on one "side". When
you go landscape it shows two pages at a time full screen. Page one on the
left and page two on the right. Also since landscape halved is smaller than
classic, this format also displays on all 1x0 models, although it is not as
nice since it does not draw a border around the text as the universal format
does. And so if your backdrop is "busy" the words tend to blur with the
background at the edges and you will find reading a book difficult.

The interesting thing is (and I did not realize it till today) the MP2000-up
format does not display the side by side in the preferences until you go
into landscape mode. Then it is selected automatically and is shown as the
second option in the preferences of that book. Moreover if you are using a
1x0 model, it will not give you the option of going into landscape (nor does
it show the other format in the preferences). If you try it will say "some
areas may not be displayed...continue?" or something to that effect and when
you try to open the book it will refuse unless you go back to portrait mode.

Perhaps if someone can determine how exactly side-by-side format is
different, then we might be a step closer to figuring out the multi-format
book mystery.

By the way, in case any of you are wondering I am still looking for a book
that I know has 3 formats built in, but wouldn't you know it.....I can find
the darn thing. But I have not given up looking though. It has to be
around here somewhere..... :)

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html