Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Rick Ludwig (bensisko_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 16:33:20 PST

I think if there's any block to Apple not being "innovative" it is that
the consumer market is a lot more lifeless than people would like to
admit. Many companies are leasing laptops for their employees, which
means that they don't have to buy a home computer. Being that this
isn't the late 90s, people aren't buying new machines like crazy (and
machines are lasting longer). The whole 'digital lifestyle' is Apple's
way of trying to revitalize sales.

I'd imagine a meeting between Steve Jobs and John Ives goes something
like this:
Steve: John, we need to launch the new G5 iMac, get started on a design.
John: No problem Steve.
-- John comes up with 100 different designs, ranging from radical new
machines to copycats of the current iMac and takes them to Steve's
office --
John: Steve, I really like this design. It allows the G5 iMac to be a
standalone and able to hook up to any monitor, or connect to this
optional flat panel display spicially designed for the new iMac. It has
a replaceable graphics card, can be processor upgradable, and even has
a port to connect directly to a powerbook or iPod.
Steve: <writes on a piece of paper> This is your budget.
John: *Sigh* I'll see how much molding we have left from the current
iMacs.

Jared, I share some of your concerns about Apple and new designs, but
new designs cost money, money Apple doesn't have. I agree that the G5
is Ugly, but I disagree about the Al Powerbooks. I LOVE the look of my
12" PB. I like the iMacs, but feel that, given the eMac, $500 isn't
worth cool design, $200 yes, but $500 is more than halfway to buying a
second eMac.

That being said, I still feel Apple is waayyyy ahead of Microsoft and
Dell in the area of creativity and "fun".

-Rick

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html