[NTLK] [OT] Economics of piracy

From: Neil McGillivray (nmcgillivray_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 02:39:28 PST

I think this is definitely off topic, but....
Please refer to these articles.
I'm expressing no opinion, just providing reference.
OpenP2P.com: Piracy is Progressive Taxation, and Other Thoughts on the
Evolution of Online Distribution [Dec. 11, 2002]
  As he follows the business world of movies and music, Tim O'Reilly
draws upon his own publishing experience and comments on the current
controversy over digital file sharing.
    Context: Piracy is Progressive Taxation, and Other Thoughts on the
Evolution of Online Distribution by Tim O'Reilly 12/11/2002 The
continuing controversy over...
[December 11, 2002]

O'Reilly Network: Independent Record Labels and Artists Flourishing
[Jun. 16, 2003]
  The Christian Science Monitor describes how independent music labels
are flourishing, for many of the reasons described in my article Piracy
is Progressive Taxation.
    Context: ...In Piracy is Progressive Taxation, I described how
obscurity, not piracy, was the greatest problem for artists. The
Christian Science Monitor just did a...
[June 16, 2003]

O'Reilly Network: The New Economics of Music [Jan. 04, 2004]
  If there's only one piece you ever read on the marketplace dynamics of
music file sharing, it should be this one. It absolutely nails key
issues.
    Context: ...that made me think of you." (Presumably because of my
piece, Piracy is Progressive Taxation). I agree with Cameron. Umair
Hague's piece is one of the...
[January 04, 2004]
__
Neil