[NTLK] Fw: Some Project Ideas for Idle Hands

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 12:03:02 PST

>1) A beaming program that allows me to send basic text documents between my
>Newton MP 2100 and my Toshiba e330 Pocket PC. My Toshiba Pocket PC
>recognizes that a Newton is attempting to contact it, but the message never
>gets transferred over.

I think Backtalk will do that.

>2) A program that allows me to exchange more than simple text files between
>my Newton MP 2100 and my desktop PC. I want to also take drawings created
>in the Newton and transfer them to apps on my desktop.

X-port does this very nicely. Transfers both ways and the images come
though as bmp files and you can import from bmp to newton just as easly.

>3) A nice, clean set of Newton tutorials that are NOT scattered across the
>known Internet universe. I want to learn more, but I usually end up having
>to search out several mirror sites in five different countries before I
find
>what I need. Why not CONSOLIDATE some of the good stuff in one place?

Well UNNA is a good start. I agree it does not have everything, but it does
have a lot. And I agree the newtontalk archives have great info/links on
most subjects.

>4) Answers to posted questions that don't involve:
>
> a) Vague referrals to obscure websites
> b) Diatribes on the superiority of Apple over PCs.
> You're preaching to the choir.
> c) Never-ending debates on non-Newton topics

*snip*
>It is really frustrating to search and ask questions, only to
>get vague replies.
*snip*
Well first off I don't believe I have ever given *vague* referrals, and if I
have please feel free to correct me. As for the Apple-PC controversy, well
it is not preaching "to the choir" as I personally use a PC and have no
intention to get a Mac. I find the info about Macs here very interesting as
I like computers in general and I know some people with Macs and I might be
able to help them from what I have read here.

Also it has been discussed before that if you don't like the off-topic
posts, just filter them out as it is very easy to do. And many consider
many of the off-topic posts is what keeps this list interesting. I find
most of them worth reading and while I agree that sometimes a topic gets
old, yet the thread continues, again that is when a filter comes in handy.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html