Re: [NTLK] Some Project Ideas for Idle Hands

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 11:46:07 PST

* Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> [24 Feb 2004 11:17]:

> On Feb 24, 2004, at 11:03 AM, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:
> > That would be nice. NCU on mac can make RTF files with sketches and
> > text mixed; <snip>
> Huh, didn't know that, I'll have to check it out.

It came in very handy when a classmate asked for a copy of the notes for
a class she missed - I emailed them to her :-)

I had the equations as sketches, diagrams as mixed shapes and sketches
with text labels, and variables as ink text inside the flow of the HWR
recognized text -- basically, making the notes as hard to convert out of
newton format as possible -- and NCU did a marvelous job at keeping
everything as I wrote it when it converted the notes to RTF.

The only gotcha I found was that if you tried to convert more notes than
the newton could hold in its heap (I think it's that, some limit on how
much it can process) at once it would chop off the last notes and not
tell you. I learned that the hard way, and after that would only export
1 week's worth of notes for one class at a time (3 solid hours of
writing... still not shabby!) The maximum number of notes my 2100 could
handle seemed to translate to about a 1Mb RTF file; 1 week of notes
tended to be 400-600kb as an RTF.

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project