Re: [NTLK] Earthlink, serial and slip

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 11:02:40 PST

On Feb 25, 2004, at 6:03 AM, Robert Wright wrote:

> Does earthlink support slip connections?
> I am trying to send and receive email through a keyspan serial adapter
> with
> mail V, 10.3.2 and an mp2100. I have NIE2.0 and all the packages
> installed
> except local talk and ethernet. The serial adapter works in X and
> Classsic.
>
> From the reading I have been doing, it does not seem like panther can
> share
> an internet connection through the serial port. Is this true?
If your know how to set it up it's true.
> When I try
> to connect all I get is “Could not resolve Ip address smtp.mac.com”. I
> don’t think I am connected therefore, although mail goes through its
> slip
> connection routine.
Could be a DNS issue, try going to a native IP address and see if that
goes anywhere...

> Therefore ethernet is the only way to connect to the internet through a
> computer? I don’t have a modem for the newt.
Assuming the Mac is connected via broadband networking it should be
possible to configure PPP over serial and connect. I don't think this
is a simple GUI wrapped pamther feature though. I know several list
members have done this, so hopefully one of them will chime in.

Good Lick with the wireless card!
Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html