Re: [NTLK] [OT] Economics of piracy

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 15:44:45 PST

We used to do webhosting for the RIAA (now they're
with Digex...which is still us....since we bought
them)
The RIAA has a single purpose.
I talked to one of their "technical" people
(laughable) and he explained the RIAA. They are
nothing but a bunch of lawyers. Everybody is a Lawyer
(even the technical guy I was talking to) and he said
that the RIAA is wholy supported by the major record
lables. Their job is to be the "bad guy" so that all
negativity is on them instead of who is really doing
the pushing...the major record lables. Basically, the
RIAA is a subterfuge for the buying public so that
they can be attacked by the record lables without the
record lables looking bad. Basically that's it. The
RIAA IS the record lables...It's like the Christians
and the Templar Knights...
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Nathan Turnage <nturnage_at_andadv.com> wrote:
<snip>
 The RIAA
> is only out for the
> large corporations that claim they are losing money
> because of
> downloading. Well, if they produced more quality
> music, they wouldn't be
> losing money.
>
> Also, they could have gotten into the whole
> pay-per-download thing back
> in the day when Napster was strong, but they
> continue to do nothing but
> piss and moan to the authorities that we're takin'
> their cookies.
>
> -Nate
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
In 1913, Lee De Forest was prosecuted by U.S. government officials
for claiming to potential investors that his company, RCA, would soon be
able to transmit the human voice over the Atlantic Ocean. The
prosecuting officials argued that his claim was so utterly ridiculous
that he was surely ripping off investors. He was ultimately released
but not before being admonished by the judge to stop making any more
fraudulent claims.