Re: [NTLK] Grocery list... and other existential questions ( Palm vs Newton)

From: Laurent Daudelin (Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 10:18:23 PST

On 27/02/04 13:15, "Martin Jean" <martinjean_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a Palm Tungsten E and a MessagePad 2100. Actually, I am using
> the Palm but I am considering switching back again (sic!) to the Newt.
> I will lost the gorgeous color screen of the Palm to show photos of my
> son. I also will miss grocery list software (I use SplashShopper). But
> I am tired of fighting with the machine to find a decent way to enter
> data into it, and recurrent "black-outs" that wiped out all my data and
> drive me nuts (at least, syncing is working well so I recovered my
> data).
>
> My questions are:
>
> • Is there any good grocery list program on the Newt?
> • Is it a good idea to carry the Newt at the stores (size, need of
> both hands, etc.)

Yep! NewtGrocery. I wrote it. It's in the Newton section on my website at
<http://nemesys.dyndns.org/>. It used (and still shows as) to be $15, but I
just never had the time to build a version without the registration check.
If anybody wants a registration number, let me know. I'll make it freely
available.

I used to bring my Newton 2100 when I was going at the grocery store without
any problem. I don't go much often anymore, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring
it again should I had to do the grocery on a regular basis!

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA