Re: [NTLK] How can I get my phone to act as IR modem?

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 03:01:55 PST

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:54:09 -0600, nturnage1_at_satx.rr.com wrote:
> tell me what settings I need to make on the phone and the Newton
> to get these things talking 'internet' so I can check my mail and
> news on the road.

First, this is the list of packages you should have installed:
- NIE (http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/software/Internet/NIE2),
make sure to read the readme file on that page
- Nitro (http://40hz.org/Nitro/Nitro-1.1.sit)
- and the NIE Serial Support Module
(http://40hz.org/Nitro/NIE%20Modem-Serial%20Support.pkg) or the NIE
Nitro Support Module
(http://40hz.org/NIENitroBlunt/NIENitroBlunt-0.1.sit). The second
package is actually recommended over the first.
- Some internet applications such as SimpleMail, Mail V, Courier,
NetHopper, EnRoute, ...

If you have all packages installed, open "Internet Setup" and create a
new "Generic" setup. Chose "Connect using IrDA". Tap "Continue" and
fill out your user ID and password (this is something somebody else
with an AT&T setup should know), and the DNS server on the next page
(again, somebody else might have this information).

You also need to add a login script for the setup. Chose "Add Login
Script" for your new setup and start with something like "Send
ATDT*99#", "Send newline", "Wait for CONNECT". This is another thing
which might be different for AT&T and the T616 and assumes that you are
using GPRS.

Eckhart