Re: [NTLK] Newton GPS Map Making

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 13:13:48 PST

Michael Briley wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Last week there were some requests for tips and/or instructions
> for how to make map containers appropriate to GPS Map and GPS
> Map Lite. Well, I've had a little time and written up pretty
> much what I did to make my lovely map of Oshkosh Wisconsin,
> including some screen shots and sample code. You can have a look
> at www.phys.uwosh.edu/mike/newt-maps.html. It's very basic and
> at this point only covers making a 4-bit single piece map for
> my MP2000U. I'll add more as I try to make some different kinds
> of maps.

And another follow-up from me...

If anyone is going to be doing this on Windows, a good program to use in lieu
of Photoshop for the image manipulation would be JASC Inc's Paint Shop Pro.
Personally I've been using their ancient version 4.12 version and it should
let you do what you need to do for making these maps - namely, saving as
4-bit greyscale Windows bitmaps. If you GoogleSearch for "psp412.exe" you
should be able to find this old version (which won't expire).

Michael, feel free to add this information to your page.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html