[NTLK] Newton Service or How To Keep The Green On & Bright

From: fu k (inflammable_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 15:49:04 PST

Hello all
This may be of interest to anyone concerned about Newton service/repair
and (like me) is not so-technically-inclined and likes his screen
crisp, clear and bright (like I do).

I had the oh-so-classic backlight burnout problem and I was after a
newton-wizard to do the replacement for me. After researching, this
list and WikiWikiNewt I sent emails to the mentioned “repair persons”
asking if they could do that. The real problem though was my hectic
schedule, I am a filmmaker, normally based in NYC and London but I do
travel all the time. Finally my MP landed in the workbench of Frank
Gruendel cause right now I’m filming a project in Athens/Greece, and as
Steinsky used to say “your mileage may vary”

All in all, Frank

• replaced the backlight

• fit a SER-001 board

• did an extensive “bad-ass mother” test to ensure everything is working

• printed-out the test results and sent them to me inside the return
parcel

• cleaned my MP inside-out

and all this in a more-than-reasonable price, exemplary professional
manners, and a lot of patience with problems arising from the postal
service people between the two countries.

Again, thank you Frank.

Many thanks to D. Padilla who also replied to my requests.

Cheers to great times in 2004!

fu

PS to anyone with a doubtful brainstorm:

no-no-no I’m NOT related to Mr F. Gruendel in any way. This is just a
happy customer’s thank-you note. Publicly.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html