Re: [NTLK] Newton Geek Factor

From: doppler (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 09:48:28 PST

04-01-12 16.12, skrev David Deranian på deranian_at_mac.com följande:

> Here's a quick question for some of you more seasoned Newton users. How
> many of you use your Newton in public places like a retail store?

i seldom think about other people, which means i end up using it as much as
in private. stockholm is quite a safe city, which means i dont take special
precautions using it in the tube or other public places. on the other hand,
my newton is housed in a leather case/holster, which makes it look like
something else (i guess).

> For
> instance, how many of you pull out your Newton in a store to log a
> purchase into PocketMoney while you're still standing at the checkout
> counter? And if you don't do that because it's inconvenient or too
> "geek-like", what strategy do you use for entering data into your
> Newton on a daily basis? Do you save up your receipts in paper form,
> then enter them into your Newton at the end of the day? Or do you wait
> until the end of the week?

the only type of receipts i save are those from "systembolaget", the state
alcohol monopoly, which offers a wonderful service with all possible
information on liquors on the receipt. i always enter those posts into "wine
cellar" on the newt

> Just curious how other folks integrate their Newton into their
> day-to-day routine out on the street.

concerning the keyboard, ive got two varieties: the original one and a
silent one (which i liberated from its rubber layer underneath the buttons).
the latter keyboard is unfortunately not very usable, so i saved it more
like a spare. i figured quite a lot of people find it offending when i use
the original keyboard in a completely silent environment because of the
clicketicklack sound. during lectures, seminars and meetings, i dont take
special measures though, since more and more people use laptop PCs which
sometimes tend to sound even worse.

BTW, if you want people to stare at you, activate MI/speech and let the
newton announce items from your agenda. it seems offending too many, so i
stopped that a while ago...

in all, i can say it was more difficult to bring forward the newton say five
years ago. nowadays everyone uses digital devices like PDA's. i see PDA's
and smartphones being used all the time, but i guess im the only one using
my PDA for shopping lists - it all boils down to an unbeatable HWR...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html