Re: [NTLK] [NTLK][OT] macworld 04 pix

From: John Anderson (dearjohn_at_everchanging.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 12:11:41 PST

>> Apple lost too many developers to competitors AFAIK
>
> They just have to pay them accordingly and they won't lose them...
>
> -Laurent.

I've heard it's healthy to start every morning off with a good laugh. If
so, then I'm good for at least the next week.

It's cheaper to deny employees credit for their work than to pay them
enough to stay. Apple is a company with [setting my modesty neatly aside]
brilliant employees who, for whatever reason, choose to neglect their
personal lives and sometimes their health in order to release products at
a breakneck schedule, because they love what they do. However, Apple is
still a publicly held corporation, and it answers to its stockholders.
Employees' job satisfaction, mental health and attrition are not
statistics on quarterly earnings reports.

That being said, the upside to being here is that, because the staffing
for each group is usually the absolute bare minimum required to get the
job done at all in such a short time period, and because there's a pretty
solid core of products now, a job at Apple is a relatively secure one.
And, if you decide to go wander off without a safety net, nothing looks
better on a resume than a decent multiyear stint at Apple.

-john

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html