Re: [NTLK] How to secure data? (was Re: Newton Geek Factor)

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 10:41:38 PST

* DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net> [16 Jan 2004 08:16]:

> >From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
> >
> >Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of, if you lose that info, is
> >it backed up where you can access it? That's a lot of eggs in one
> >basket--too many for me... :-)
>
> Plus I'd hate to hafta log in every time I wake Newtie from sleep,
> that's really impair the experience when I use it for reading ebooks.
> Or would you want to log in to a book for every other chapter? I want
> to turn the box on, and presto, there goes. I'd suffer a log-in after
> a reboot, but not on turning on. Still I want my data secured.
>
> So how do y'all handle this on your Newtons? What features do any of
> the security measures you employ offer?

I actually don't back up nearly as often as I should. And by that I mean
I haven't in about 2 years. I really have to get basilisk talking to my
newt... nXchange is great for installing packages but doesn't do backups
at all.

As for general security, I use an idea that came up on this list a while
back. Not particularly hard to bypass if you know the newt I'd imagine,
but reasonable for most.

In the owner card, I put the text "reward for return" in the phone
extension field, and my phone number where it belongs. Then I tell my
newt to ask for a passcode on reset and if a passcode hasn't been
entered in 24 hours. (Passcode every time the newt wakes up is just a
bit excessive; I can handle once a day.) The passcode screen displays
the name and phone number (plus extension) from the owner card... so if
I lose the newt somebody who picks it up and turns it on will see the
passcode screen, and my name and phone number and "reward for return".

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project